9 Fifield St
Scope of the job:
This beautiful old villa situated in Fifield Street, Rosyln, Dunedin was in desperate need of some TLC, which JDBuilders were only too happy to assist their client on the best way to proceed forward with the renovation.
This villa was originally built in 1905, consisting of 5 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms. A sizeable house of 192m2 sitting on a 637m2 parcel of land in the historic suburb of Roslyn in Dunedin.
The list of renovations was extensive, here are the major elements that were addressed.
* Cleaning out the spouting and giving the house a power wash to clean off the dirt and grime.
* Provide a scaffold system up to the spouting line and roof.
* Repairs to the garage:
Remove existing trellis cladding & roofing iron.
Replace the roof with new coloured corrugate as chosen by our client and allow for new metal spouting & 1 x downpipe into the existing drain.
Replace cladding with new ex 200×25 rusticated weatherboards.
* To prepare and repaint the house roof.
Coloursteel area of the roof required our three-coat system. Priming of the Coloursteel iron with appropriate primer and then two topcoats. Some areas of the flat roof were very rusty and required treating for rust, then two topcoats.
* Remove and replace all weatherboards on the eastern side of the house and for new Pink Batts R2.8 under new building paper under the new weatherboards. Rebate the window-facing boards to allow for the weatherboards behind the facing.
* Windows, replace 1 x window pane in front facing bedroom and check and repair window putty to all windows.
* Create a new rodent-proof storage room in the basement approx 4.8m x 4.2m. Allow for timber framed walls lined in plywood to two sides of the room and use the existing concrete foundation for the other two walls, plus plywood flooring and a lockable door to suit.
Install new 9mm plywood ceiling linings to the newly formed downstairs storage room. Allow to pack existing floor joists to make ceiling level. Ensure underfloor insulation is in place before sealing off space.
Create new downlights in this room and organize plumbers to move existing piping to suit the new area.
* Repair to back bedroom and ensuite roof. To prep then supply and install 50mm PIR insulation over the existing flat iron tray. Supply and install Mapei Spider P two-layer torch on bitumastic membrane roofing. This was chosen as the best option at this time of year for application ease .ie can be installed in the cold weather.
* Run & replace the profiled skirting board in the lounge (approx 4.5m).
* Replace the heat pump isolation switch.
* Back bedroom and ensuite.
Remove floor coverings & replace with new vinyl to the ensuite (approx. 3600×1060) & carpet to the bedroom (approx. 3600×2800) & wardrobe (approx. 600×2300).
Remove wall linings in the bathroom & replace them with new wet area plasterboard.
Install new Fibre Systems Stellar Aquila 1000×1000 shower with new Methven Waipori shower mixer along with Waipori Satinjet shower rail.
Install a new Nouveau Vivo rimless back-to-wall toilet. and l new Nouveau Bondi 900mm floor standing vanity with mirror & Methven Waipori basin mixer and finally allow for new 60×10 bevel architraves & skirting.
Make & replace the window sash in the ensuite.
Additional work organized electrical, plumbing, plaster, and painting in this area.
* Decorating of the exterior, which included superb preparation, sanding, and filling the old weatherboards as required. An undercoat, followed by a further two applications of paint, with colours being chosen by our client.
* The result achieved by the whole team was fantastic, with all the trades working in exacting detail and unison. Our client was simply over the moon with the final result, transforming the house from the worst in the street to one of the best.
Photo Credit: Jeffrey Dennison Builders